Planning for a self move? That’s great…head on with your decision! Yes it’s true; a self mover can certainly lower his expenses to a considerable extent when it comes to moving. How? Well, he doesn’t has to pay any extra charges to the professional mover for packing, loading, unloading as well as unpacking his goods. But, before that a self mover should go through these suggestions carefully so that he makes his self move a sure success!
Self service movers should get hold of the following things:
- Heavy gloves
- a truck on rent
- packing boxes in various sizes
- Rolls of tape
- packing paper
- Tape gun>
- Marker for marking the boxes
- Box cutter knife
- Paper and pen to prepare an inventory sheet
Well, this isn’t all…a self mover should also take into account the below mentioned things before self moving. These are as follows:
- Mattress covers
- chair bags
- Styrofoam peanuts
- shrink wrap plastic
Prior to making a self move, a self mover should also rent a self moving truck. Not only this, he needs to also rent furniture pads as well as hand truck. This approach of his simplifies the loading as well as unloading process. Additionally, it also prevents the goods of the self mover from getting lost or damaged. Before you load the truck, make sure you place the biggest items like appliances and furniture at first, followed by loading the smallest items. Self movers should place the boxes (the heavy weight ones!) at the end, followed by stacking them evenly with respect to their weight. Ensure loading the truck slowly. Use small boxes for filling up the gaps and avoid shifting any items. Items such as tables, mattresses and sofas should be laid on the side of these boxes. You may also tie up these items firmly if you think it to be important.
The picture frames as well as the mirrors should be positioned between the mattresses. While making a self move, the self mover can also tip the mirrors as well as the picture frames along the walls of the self moving truck. Ensure loading the essential items at last, hence you can immediately unpack them on reaching your destination. And don’t forget to lock the rented self moving truck…it’s indeed an important step that we often overlook.
Now let us move on to some of the useful tips that will help a self mover before he drives a rented truck.
- A self mover should always make himself familiar with the gauges before he leaves for the new destination. Prior to moving into the new destination, he should make it a point to check the fluid levels of the vehicle.
- After loading and packing the goods successfully on the rented truck, the self mover should start off with his drive to the new destination.
- I hope that these suggestions will help a self mover if he is planning for a self move.